There have been 7 drafts’ that have been started
since my last post but as you can see they have not found my page yet. I'm not
really sure what I want to share right now. I think that is the reason that
none of those posts have been published yet. All the words that have been
written on them are true but none fully articulate what it is that I am
feeling. One of the main phrases that I have used this summer is "I don't
know what I want." This sentence is not one that I have felt like has ever
really made its way as deep into my heart as it has this summer. For the last
18 years I have known what was coming after every summer. However that is no
longer the case. 10 weeks ago I would have said it was, 10 weeks ago I thought
that I would be in England by this time, I thought that I would be pursuing my
Masters in Biblical and Theological Study from Moody, I thought that I would be
living another year in Chicago loving it more and more each day, and continuing
to be a student.
And then life flipped on me. So as I finished out
my senior year and looked toward what was next I was hit with the fact that I
did not know what I wanted. I know who I am, and I know that I want to work
with college students.
I started looking at jobs within that field. So I
researched Resident Director, Resident Supervisor, and Student Affairs
Director, really anything that would get me on a college campus. But I also
know that I am good at planning events and started looking at positions that
would allow me to be able to do something that I enjoy doing while being in a
place that would allow me to work with students. So then I looked at event
planning jobs in places like Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, and Chicago. These are
all places that have churches that I know are thriving that have a student
ministry that I could plug in with.
As I read over the last three paragraphs I see
facts and information but I don't see my heart, I don't see what is real. So
here It is....
I got a call today from my first choice job. It’s a
RD position at a thriving school. The call was a basic interview, and was over
after about 15 minutes. Less then 3 hours latter I got another call from them
asking me for a second interview. I was super excited, and this job is in
Arizona. I really want it and if I am being honest its not Chicago which is a
good thing and a hard thing. I never would have believed that I could fall in
love with a city, especially not that city but I love it. And I was introduced
to a church that I loved in it. So I want to move, I’m ready to be somewhere
else, I want my adventure and I will miss Chicago if I move.
I'm going to miss Moody. As dysfunctional as it can be, I love that
school. I loved my job, I loved my team, I loved my floor, and just my life as
a whole. I had a great two and a half years, I had adventures, I had my special
spots, I had my entire life there and so leaving has felt hard. But it feels
especially hard knowing that all my friends are going back and knowing that a
few of them have told me that they want me to get a job in Chicago.
So I know that this is not a huge update but this is where I am at on June
25, 2014. I have no idea what is next and I hate that. And I wish that I could
fully love one place over another so I could stop feeling so torn. My heart
still bleeds for Chicago and part of it just wants to be with the people that I
care about in a city that is home, but my head knows that I want to work with students
and the place in Arizona is the perfect job for me and it’s what I want to be
doing. So it all feels messy, but then again I know that means that I am
feeling everything thing that I should be feeling and that it means that Gods
going to bless me where ever I go.
So this is not my finest post and I am ok with that. It reflects my ambivalence
and sacredness right now in the midst of my crazy life. If you are reading this
I just want to say that I am glad that you are still with me, I am grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment