Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Oh Come, Oh Come, Emmanuel

Today is Tuesday which means that its presidents chapel so both students and faculty (1500 or so) come together to worship and listen to teaching. The dean of music started worship. And it was Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus done wail he was playing the organ. It was pretty but received a small jump for me and then a giggle when our conductor belted out the choirs the first time.


The next song was the one that hit me deep within my soul. It was Oh Come Oh Come Emmanuel, but we sang it acappella. I know that Katy and Mom have talked about this being sung in Church on Sunday and being aware of where they were "rescued" from that longing and outcry in their hearts, however this is not the way that it was song today. It was beautiful and yet piercingly painful. With one voice I experienced the body coming together to sing out a plea of rescue of Christ return. For the first time I saw out a cry that was not only song (metaphorically because the Latin hymn was not written till the 12th cent) before Christ came for the first time but now in my broken world I am sing out "O come oh come Emmanuel......and drive away the shades of night; and pierce the clouds and bring us light."

God with us, Emmanuel come soon, come and rescues us from the brokenness from my life that is not complete and that is still longing to be home. Come Emmanuel for I wait the day that I will see your face for the first time and feel your embrace. To feel you fully. I long for home. I long for your presence, and I long to be made complete. 

So come Emmanuel and bring your peace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment